Send this job to a friend
Did you notice an error or suspect this job is scam? Tell us.
Note: Never pay any money to any recruiter for any purpose (certificates, medical testing, interview, work kit or any other thing).
The African Union is a continental union consisting of 54 countries in Africa.
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Location Other
- Job Field Administration / Secretarial
Reference Code: AUDA-NEPAD / CEO / 2020 / 003
Location: South Africa
Post level: SP3
Organ / Department: AUDA-NEPAD
Reporting to: Chairperson of the African Union Commission
- The Chief Executive Officer oversees the delivery of the core functions and key set objectives of the African Union Development Agency. In this regard, the Chief Executive executes a mandate given to him/her by the Head of States and Government Orientation Committee of AUDA-NEPAD as included in the Statutes of AUDA-NEPAD and the Rules of Procedures of the AUDA-NEPAD Head of States and Government Orientation Committee (HSGOC) and the AUDA-NEPAD Steering Committee. The AUDA-NEPAD mandate stated in the Statutes document is as follow:
- Coordinate and execute priority regional and continental projects to promote regional integration towards the accelerated realisation of Agenda 2063; and
- Strengthen the capacity of Member States and regional bodies in key identified areas, advance knowledge-based advisory support and undertake the full range of resource mobilisation.
- The Chief Executive Officer of AUDA-NEPAD shall act as the Controlling Officer of the Agency and therefore plays the role of the Accounting Officer on behalf of the African Union Commission Chairperson. He/she is responsible for the provisions for the implementation of the strategic priorities of the Agency as stated in the AUDA-NEPAD Statutes. He/she is responsible for the effective management of the relationship of the Agency with other AU Organs.
Main Functions: The main functions and responsibilities of the Chief Executive Officer of the African Union development Agency (AUDA-NEPAD) are deriving from the Organization’ mandate as approved by the Assembly of Head of States and Government. The CEO of AUDA-NEPAD shall:
- Facilitate the incubation of innovative programmes in various fields, including technology, research and development, knowledge management, and data analytics;
- Provide technical and implementation support to RECs and Member States in the development and execution of priority projects and programmes;
- Develop, create and manage flexible financial fund models to support Member States to implement their development agendas and Agenda 2063;
- Assist Member States and RECs to strengthen capacity in key areas such as, food and nutrition, energy, water, infrastructure, information and communication technology and digital economy, natural resource governance, climate change and institutional and human capital development and innovation;
- Provide advisory support in the setting up and application of norms and standards in thematic priorities of the AU to accelerate regional integration;
- Provide technical backstopping to the AU in implementing policy recommendations at the continental, regional and national levels;
- Monitor and assess Africa’s development trends and progress with the view to achieve key continental and global goals for the purpose of technical reporting;
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of continental development frameworks as stipulated in Agenda 2063;
- Undertake, apply and disseminate research on policy development support for Member States;
- Coordinate, facilitate and promote cooperation with Africa’s strategic partners and stakeholders for effective resource mobilization;
- Coordinate and facilitate partnership with the African academia;
- Foster the cooperation in Africa with the private sector; and
- Coordinate between AU Specialized Agencies, Organs and other institutions to create an enabling and supportive environment for the achievement of the goals and priorities of Agenda 2063.
Development, management and maintenance of relations with internal and external Partners:
- The CEO shall lead the development and implementation of strategies to engage with AUDA-NEPAD partners in the region and internationally as stated by the organization’s Statutes and rules of Procedures;
- He/she shall ensure the development and management of effective partnership aimed at supporting the regional structures such as the Regional Economic Communities and other regional mechanisms;
- He/she shall ensure that the relationship with partners remains one in which Africans lead their own processes of change and development;
- He/she shall lead and manage forums established to engage with partners, as delegated by and in consultation with the Steering Committee, the HSGOC and the AUC for the benefit of the continent and its structures;
- He/she shall ensure that relations with partners leads to concrete support of African initiatives based on the Agenda 2063; and
- He/she shall lead and manage the relations with multilateral organizations such as the UN, World Bank, IMF, WTO, etc., thus providing a single platform for engagement with these agencies.
- He/she shall provide strategic thoughts leadership and on behalf of African Union support the coordination of the relations with Continental strategic partnerships such as TICAD, FOCAC, etc., thus providing a single platform for engagement with these platforms.
Provision of Strategic Direction in the administration of the AUDA-NEPAD:
- He/she shall lead and provide strategic direction to the AUDA-NEPAD administration including financial matters and human resources management;
- He/she shall lead and direct the provision of effective financial management systems and organizational accountability in accordance with the African Union Financial Rules and Regulations, the African Union Staff Regulations and Rules, the African Union Procurement Manual.
- He/she shall lead and direct the AUDA-NEPAD team performance management against individual performance in line with the African Union Staff regulations and Rules.
- He/she shall lead and direct the provision of Human Resources Management systems, a healthy organization and a working environment conducive for staff, in compliance with the African Union Staff Regulations and Rules.
- He/she shall lead and direct the development and implementation of effective and efficient organizational culture, systems and best practices.
- Head of States and Government Assembly, Annually
- Executive Council of African Union, Twice a year
- Steering Committee of AUDA-NEPAD, On request
- Permanent Representatives Committee, Regularly
- African Union Commission Chairperson, Regularly
- African Union Commissioners, Regularly
- Heads of AU Other Organs, Regularly
- AUDA – NEPAD Staff, Regularly
- International Development Partners, Regularly
- Academia and Medias, Need basis
- Civil society, Regularly
Academic Requirements: The candidate is required to have at least the following qualifications:
- An advanced (post-graduate degree or Masters) University degree in Economics, Engineering, Development related studies or an equivalent discipline;
- A relevant first-level university degree with extensive experience and the proven record may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced university degree, e.g. International and regional finance Institutions, the finance ministries or other development finance Institutions;
- An advanced executive development programme or related qualification (shall be an advantage).
Other relevant skills:
- Demonstrate strong leadership and management experience, excellent organizational human and financial management skills, very good interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to Interact with a variety of stakeholders including, at a high level and excellent report writing and reporting skills to diverse audiences and at various levels;
- Excellent strategic visioning, planning, Implementation, monitoring and evaluations and reporting skills;
- Demonstrated record of setting clear standards for accountability, probity, value for money and risk management and zero tolerance to fraud and corruption; for ensuring sound and transparent financial management; and delivering continuous improvement, impact, efficiency and effectiveness;
- Demonstrated intellectual leadership, creativity and proven ability to propose new ideas and lead on new ways of working across silos in a complementary and synergistic way for a prosperous and peaceful Africa;
- Proven track record of change management and accomplishments at the regional, national or international level with strong resource mobilization, political and diplomatic skills;
- Good grounding on regional and international policy frameworks and strategies on the African developmental agenda and specifically Agenda 2063 and the SDGs;
- Working knowledge of research, policy development and analysis, programmes development and management, and project management.
- Strategic Focus: – Determines and outlines the portfolio’s strategic priorities and connects the portfolio’s purpose to that of the broader organization vision and values. Inspires others and the organisation to achieve beyond expectations. Proactively identifies and prioritizes the key issues involved to facilitate executive decision-making and makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data is limited, or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
- Developing Organizational Capability: – Promotes and catalyzes organizational learning and development to ensure that the portfolio is well-positioned to meet future leadership needs and mentors others to enhance their development.
- Change Leadership: – Acts as a catalyst for organizational change. Influences others to translate vision into action and identifies change opportunities and champion organizational change initiatives – consistently looks for ways to improve the portfolio or organization. Understands multiple cultural frameworks, values, and norms. Demonstrates an ability to adapt style when faced with myriad dimensions of culture in order to be effective across cultural contexts. Able to resolve conflicts arising to competing objectives, limited resources, or differing perspectives and seeks amicable solutions
- Strategic Risk Management: – Manage the organisation’s and portfolio’s reputation by making risk-intelligent decisions and using sound judgement in highly complex situations based on an assessment of the risks and benefits, impacts.
- Building Partnerships: – Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals to foster organizational goals through proactive engagement with key stakeholders. Perceives organizational and political reality and acts accordingly.
- Drives Accountability Culture: – Determines objectives, sets priorities and develops longer-term goals and proactively influences how resources, services, etc. are re-organized to achieve goals and offering recommendations on issues of accountability for improvement. Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results.
- Learning Agility and Resilience: – Engages in systematic and development activities aligned with the strategic needs of the organisation. Promotes ongoing learning and development across the organization, develops personal and professional goals and makes insightful career planning decisions to achieve (or alter) these goals. Deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks.
- Communicating with impact: – Projects authority, credibility and influences external executive decision-makers to achieve substantive goals. Uses personal rather than positional power to influence and motivate others to achieve results and presents the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates and facilitates through cultural differences, conflicts, tensions, or misunderstandings.
- Conceptual Thinking: – Creates new concepts that are not obvious to others to think through issues and/or resolve problems.
- Job Knowledge Sharing: – Fosters and enables a knowledge and information-rich culture through engaging with thought leaders within and outside the organization.
- Drive for Result: – Drives high-performance standards from goal creation to continuous improvement. Commits significant resources and/or time (in the face of uncertainty) to improve performance, reach a challenging goal and implements innovative solutions.
- Fosters Innovation: – Drives high-performance standards from goal creation to continuous improvement. Commits significant resources and/or time (in the face of uncertainty) to improve performance, reach a challenging goal and implements innovative solutions.
- Proven track record in conducting and leading business in highly politicized environments; travel both internationally and nationally.
- The candidate is required to have a proven track record of delivery and leading the Implementation of large programmes and/projects
- Substantial and proven experience working at very senior decision-making level within the public sector or similar Institutions, regional organizations/institutions, international institutions and civil society organizations.
- The candidates is required to have at least Fifteen (15) years of appropriate experience in leading and managing comparable public sector institutions or similar organizations regionally and or Internationally (experience as an accounting officer Is added advantage);
- Substantial experience leading and managing development programmes or projects in Africa with a view of mobilizing support and resources for the design Initiatives, development of policies, implementation of strategies, and effectively accounting for resources utilized.
Other requirements: Language requirements
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages and knowledge of one or several other working language(s) would be an added advantage. . Tenure The appointment shall be a fixed-term contract for a period of 4 years, of which 6 months shall be probation period.
- Gender Mainstreaming The AUDA-NEPAD is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 143,306 (SP3 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (40% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88 per annum, education allowance (100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of US$ 3,300.00 per child per annum for every eligible dependent for national and locally recruited staff.
Method of Application
To submit your application:
- Create an account via the link above (Click here to see instructional video)
- Fill out your personal information and the application form
- Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge. Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not 4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
- Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills.
- Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted.
- Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Interested and qualified? Go to African Union(AU) on hrm.aucareers.org to apply
- Anonymously review your previous or current employer Drop a review
Subscribe to Job Alert
Join over 367K happy subscribers