Send this job to a friend
Did you notice an error or suspect this job is scam? Tell us.
Note: Never pay any money to any recruiter for any purpose (certificates, medical testing, interview, work kit or any other thing).
We are the directing and coordinating authority on international health within the United Nations’ system.
We do this by:
providing leadership on matters critical to health and engaging in partnerships where joint action is needed;
shaping the research agenda and stimulating the generation, translation and dissemination of valuable knowledge;
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA , PhD/Fellowship
- Experience 10 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Organization: AF / ULC Universal Health Coverage/Life Course
Objectives of the Programme
- To support the country to have an updated and comprehensive national health policy, national health strategy and plan (NHPSP) that are costed, financed, implemented and monitored
- Facilitate government stewardship and governance capacity to lead health development and manage partnerships with sound monitoring, evaluation and mutual accountability for results that promote good health at all key stages of life, taking into account and addressing health equity, social determinants of health and human rights, with a focus on preventing priority morbidity, mortality and disability.
Purpose of the Position
To provide leadership and coordination of country’s work on building national capacity and standards for Health Policies, Strategies and Plans (NHPSPs) including guidance towards attaining the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and Universal Health Coverage (UHC) targets with effective country governance and leadership of the health agenda.
Description of Duties
The incumbent is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities which are performed according to the needs and agenda:
- To lead the elaboration of strategies and policies by proactively contributing to state-of-the-art health policies, strategies, plans and governance activities, promoting and facilitating their implementation at country level to improve national health policies, strategies and governance approaches, including but not limited to monitoring and analyzing trends, promoting cross-cutting activities, set and review norms and standards, as well as guidelines for health policies, strategies and governance.
- To elaborate and/or oversee the elaboration of a series of policies and strategies toward the implementation of best practices in governance at the national and sub-national levels through facilitating and encouraging a culture of information-sharing of lessons learnt related to health planning, capacity building and monitoring taking into consideration criteria such as health financing, social protection, services standards and quality and the analysis and evaluation of health sectors.
- To fully participate in the elaboration and implementation of resource mobilization and advocacy strategies, in close collaboration with team members, including but not limited to providing advice and guidance to national partners on advocacy strategies, work plans, and their implementation.
- To guide, coach, motivate and manage health systems staff, including resolving problems while promoting effective team work and results, within the framework of WHO Staff Rules and Regulations, and AFRO accepted procedures; managing the budget within the framework of WHO Staff Rules and Regulations, financial rules and AFRO accepted procedures.
- To perform other related responsibilities as assigned, including replacing and backstopping for others as required.
- Essential: An Advanced University Degree (Master’s level or above) in Public Health, Health Systems / Services Administration, Health Management or Health related field from an accredited/recognized institute or formal qualifications in International / global health policy or in similar fields
- Desirable: Ph.D in one or more of the above fields and / or post-graduate training or specialization in health systems and / or health planning, management or heath Economics.
- At least ten years’ experience in health sector policy and planning at national and international levels, with sound management or technical assistance in a governmental institution or international organization in resource-limited countries in the field of health policies, strategies and governance development.
- Experience in health sector assessments and analyses and producing its reports, with track record in consensus building and enlisting cooperation, as well as the evaluation of health services and facilitating consultations.
Other Skills (e.g. IT)
- Proven ability to use standard office software packages, Conversant with common IT software including eHealth tools.
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Producing results
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond.
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Working knowledge of French.
- WHO offers staff in the Professional Category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at 87,108 US Dollars (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
Method of Application
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the Degree(s) / Diploma(s) / certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural
- Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/ Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- WHO has a mobility policy which can be found at the following link: http://www.who.int/employment/en/
- Candidates appointed to an international post with WHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
Interested and qualified? Go to World Health Organization (WHO) on careers.who.int to apply
- Anonymously review your previous or current employer Drop a review
Subscribe to Job Alert
Join over 367K happy subscribers