When CHAI was founded, many viewed this goal as unreasonable because health systems in poor countries were too weak and prices of relevant drugs and diagnostic tests were too high.CHAI played a leadership role, working alongside governments and other partners, to lower the costs of treatment and help build the in-country systems necessary to provide lifesavi…
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 2 – 3 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare  , NGO/Non-Profit
- Nigeria has a rapidly growing population, with current population estimates at over 180 million, out of which about 46 million are women of reproductive age (WRA). With a total fertility rate (TFR) of 5.3, Nigeria’s population is likely to hit over 400 million by 2050, becoming the third most populous country on earth. Fertility and mortality patterns have resulted in a young population structure, where more than 40% of the current population are children under the age of 15 years. A low level of FP use is a major factor in the fertility pattern and population growth rate. With a modern Contraceptive Prevalence Rate (mCPR) of 17.6% in 2018, Nigeria is still far from achieving its target of 27% mCPR by 2023.
- CHAI has since 2013 supported the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) in the area of family planning (FP) through data analytics on uptake of long acting reversible contraceptives (LARC) services, and has worked closely with several state ministries of health and primary health care development agencies to target and overcome identified barriers to LARC provision and uptake, while tracking the impact of investments in FP. CHAI has also focused on supporting the FMOH with the quantification and supply plan development for contraceptives. With the development and countrywide deployment of the National Family Planning Dashboard,
- CHAI along with the FMOH was able to increase access to FP by strengthening everyday program management through use of data. CHAI has worked to increase access to post-partum family planning (PPFP) and sexual and reproductive health (SRH) services. More recently, CHAI has supported the FMOH with new contraceptive product and sharing best practices to catalyze cost effective scaleup.
- Recognizing the importance of increasing domestic financing and strengthening existing budget efficiencies for a more sustainable procurement of FP commodities and by extension increasing access to FP services, CHAI is working with the FMOH to explore the fiscal space and identify potential sustainable financing mechanisms for FP commodity procurement at the national and state levels.
- CHAI requires a highly motivated individual with strong analytical capability, for the position of a Senior Analyst on the Family Planning program. Supporting the Family Planning program, the Senior Analyst will collaborate with the Reproductive Health Division of the Federal Ministry of Health and State Ministries of Health as may be required to achieve secured and sustainable financing for FP commodity procurement in Nigeria. The Senior Analyst will report to the FP Program Manager and while the position is based in Abuja, there is an expectation for domestic travel to the program states.
- Cultivate strong relationships in the Family Planning (FP) space and establish channels of communication and collaboration with government – including Federal Ministry of Health and Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning – and partners
- Work with FMOH and CHAI Health Finance team to identify key stakeholders including private sector and partners to engage on development of a sustainability road map for FP commodity financing.
- Support the conduct of a detailed fiscal space analysis to identify potential sources of additional funds to enable federal and state governments to meet their immediate financial commitments
- Support the development of operational guidelines to strengthen implementation of the basket funds for FP commodity procurement
- Review current systems, processes, tools for budgeting and provide targeted TA to the national and state governments for budget development, review, and defense
- Strengthen engagement between FMOH and MDAs responsible for review, approval, and release of funds
- Build capacity of relevant government officials at applicable national and state-level MDAs for the inclusion of FP commodities in annual budgeting processes and support process mapping for ensuring funds release
- Work with FMOH to establish a system for tracking resource allocations and develop an accountability framework and tracking tool to ensure timely funds release
- Work with FMOH to strengthen existing systems in place for maintaining visibility of donor and domestic resources for FP commodities
- Analyze KPIs to support effective programmatic decision making.
- Support with the development of project brief and communication materials
- Develop budget and program implementation scenarios
- Supervise Analyst’s work as needed
- Support development of reports, presentations, complementary analysis as request by the program manager and other Family Planning program staff
- Support the Family Planning Program to generate market intelligence, develop strategies and draw up proposals to strengthen access to quality and affordable reproductive health services both locally and globally
- Support any other tasks as may be required by the Country Director
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine, Pharmacy, Economics, Business Management or related discipline plus 2-3 years of professional experience in an analytical/project management position (an advanced degree in Public Health, Health Economics or Business Administration will be an advantage).
- Exceptional analytical (qualitative and quantitative), presentation and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives.
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment.
- Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and set priorities.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Willingness to travel frequently and at short notice.
- Fluent in English.
- Public Health experience.
- Familiarity with health financing interventions in developing countries.
- Experience with national and state health insurance scheme.
- Experience working in multi-stakeholder environments and collaborating with government officials.
- Experience working with health facilities and/or the national health system in Nigeria.